I absolutely love Mexican eggs for breakfast. This is really easy to make and great if you’ve had a few friends round and you need a hangover cure!
1/2 onion chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1 jalapeño pepper sliced (I used about 6 slices from a jar)
100g chorizo diced
4 corn tortillas
2 large eggs
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
50g grated cheese
1 tbsp sour cream
Small handful of coriander leaves
Salt and Pepper
- Heat a small glug of oil in a pan, when the oil is hot add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent.
- Transfer the onion and garlic into a food processor, add the passata, half the jalapeño , half the coriander leaves and season with salt and pepper, blend until smooth.
- Heat up a frying pan over a medium heat and add the chorizo, letting them cook in their own fat for about 5 minutes. Then add the blended mixture to this and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a large frying pan and place a tortilla in the pan and cook until light golden but not crisp, about 30 seconds. Flip the tortilla over and cook for 30 seconds more. Transfer to a plate and repeat cook the remaining tortillas, adding more oil if necessary.
- Once you have finished cooking the tortillas add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Working in batches, crack the eggs into the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes until the bottoms are set and the edges golden.
- To serve place 2 tortillas on each plate, spoon on the sauce then place the egg on top of this. Sprinkle with the avocado, cheese, the remaining coriander leaves and jalapeño slices. Top with a dollop of sour cream.