750g drained tinned sweetcorn (3–4 tins depending on size)
450ml almond milk/cow’s milk
150ml sunflower, rapeseed or vegetable oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
25g coriander, chopped
1 x 400g tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
2 red/yellow peppers, finely sliced and roasted or use pre-roasted jar peppers
1 tbspn sea salt flakes
pinch of pepper
For the dry ingredients:
80g plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g mature cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ fan 180C. Line a deep 35 x 25cm baking tin with baking parchment.
- Place three quarters of the sweetcorn in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Once smooth, mix together with the rest of the whole sweetcorn kernels.
- Place all the dry ingredients – but only 50g of the cheese – in a large mixing bowl and stir well. Once mixed, add the almond milk, oil and apple cider vinegar and give everything another really good stir until well combined. Next, add the coriander, black beans, chilli, peppers, salt, pepper and sweetcorn, giving it all one final mix.
- Once the mixture has come together, pour into the lined baking tin and sprinkle the remaining 50g of cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 50–55 minutes until golden and cooked through. To test if it is cooked, insert a knife into the corn bread, it should come out clean. If not, place back in the oven for 5 more minutes to cook through.