This is based off one of my favourite M&S salads which I will treat myself to if I ever forget my lunch at work. There are a lot of ingredients involved but it feels ever so good for you. This salad certainly makes a different and interesting salad for a party or BBQ and is worth buying all the ingredients for as a special one off.
I love to serve it with a dollop of hummus but M&S serve theirs with a soy and ginger dressing which is really good and I think would be pretty simple to whip up using soy sauce, ginger puree and oil and just adjust to taste. Don’t worry too much about the quantities of nuts and seeds too – just add what you feel is about right.
400g quinoa or I used Waitrose bulgur wheat with white and red quinoa already mixed which is great
1 head of broccoli
200g green beans
Couple of handfuls of frozen peas
1 x 400g tin of black eyed peas
100g pistachios, shelled
125g sunflower seeds
200g whole almonds
Shop-bought or homemade hummus to serve
- Cook your quinoa according to the instructions on the packet.
- Finely chop your carrot to a small dice and broccoli so you have tiny florets. Top and tail your green beans and chop into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Cook your vegetables until they are al dente, this will not take long as the pieces are so small. A couple of minutes before they are cooked, throw in the frozen peas. Drain once cooked.
- In a bowl, combine your cooked vegetables with your cooked quinoa. Drain your black eyed peas and add into the mix. Then add in the pistachios, sunflower seeds and whole almonds.
- Give a good mix all around. Serve with a generous dollop of hummus.