Chilli Con Carne is another staple dish of the Sackett family. It was the next dish we were all taught to make once we’d perfected our spaghetti bolognese recipe. Like most dishes we have put our special Sackett twist on it – always lots of veggies in the sauce – peppers, courgettes, celery, whatever Mum had in the fridge. Baked beans – an addition added by my Mum which may sound slightly strange but trust me, I’ve never made a chilli without it since. Also the delicious addition of chorizo – which I have to thank my brother James for. Another of my favourite additions to complement the chilli is a “cool avocado salsa” which is a great accompaniment especially if you’re like me and like your chilli nice and spicy.
Chilli is great for cooking in bulk, saving some for lunch the next day or sticking in the freezer. You can mix it up a bit serving it with rice, baked potato, mash, nachos, tacos, and most recently I served it up with finely sliced sweet potatoes which I baked in the oven until they resembled crisps. I’m sure all the Sacketts have their own slightly adapted chilli recipe, but here is mine.
For the chilli:
a glug of olive oil
1 onion diced
2 cloves of garlic crushed
750g lean beef mince
1 red chilli chopped (optional)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chilli
1 red pepper chopped
100g chorizo chopped into slices and then halved
400g can of chopped tomatoes
415g can of baked beans
400g kidney beans
For the cool avocado salsa:
1 ripe avocado chopped into medium size chunks
half a red onion thinly sliced
8 cherry tomatoes halved
6 fresh coriander leaves
juice of half a lime
2tbsp creme fraiche
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, once the oil is hot add in the onions and garlic and sauté until they turn soft and translucent.
- Add the beef mince to the pan and using a spatula, break up the meat into small pieces.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the chilli (if using), spices, red pepper and chorizo and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, baked beans and drained kidney beans to the pan and combine everything together and leave to cook for 40 minutes before serving.
- For the cool avocado salsa: Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.