This January Steve and I decided to invest in a spiralizer. I introduced Steve to courgetti last year and I honestly thought it would be the first and last time I’d cook it, expecting him to snub it and say it couldn’t be a replacement for pasta or noodles, after all it’s a vegetable. How wrong I was, he even went as far as saying courgetti was one of his favourite meals a few weeks ago! Before I was buying pre-made courgetti from Tesco which was convenient, but nowhere near as good as the freshly made noodles from the spiralizer, plus it’s really fun to use!
Most of the recipes I have seen for courgetti use pesto which is delicious, however I wanted to try something different so came up with a healthy-ish carbonara sauce.
2 cloves of garlic
1 glug of olive oil
400g half-fat fromage frais
3 egg yolks
200g smoked salmon
salt and pepper
- Spiralize all 8 courgettes into fine noodles and set aside.
- Put into a jug the fromage frais, egg yolks, a handful of parmesan shavings, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Cut the smoked salmon into thin strips and set aside.
- Crush the garlic gloves then add a small glug of olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and lightly fry the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the courgetti to the pan with the garlic, stirring occasionally so the courgettes cook evenly. Cook for around 10 minutes so that the courgettes don’t go too soggy.
- Then pour the jug of carbonara sauce over the courgetti and add the smoked salmon. Stir the mixture well and allow the sauce to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with some extra parmesan shavings.