This year I have set myself the task of cooking or making something new every week. One thing I have never made but spend plenty of money on sugary shop bought types is granola. My friend Rachel made me some granola over the Christmas period and added chocolate and nuts to give it that festive feel, it’s one of those recipes you can add whatever you like and mix it up every now and again so you don’t get bored. It’s so easy to make as is great served with yoghurt and fruit for breakfast or a mid-morning snack. I made a large batch and split it into two jars, to one I added apple, cinnamon and sultanas and the other freeze-dried strawberries and dried cherries.
2 tbsp coconut oil
100ml maple syrup
2 tbsp honey
300g rolled jumbo oats
50g pumpkin seeds
4 tbsp sesame seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and mix until combined
- Place on 2 non-stick trays and spread out evenly. If making the cinnamon granola sprinkle half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon over the mixture.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the mixture starts to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and leave the granola to cool, it will then crisp up and harden.
For the Apple, Cinnamon and Sultana Granola:
Once the granola has cooled, add 100g sultanas and 50g of dried apples cut into small piece.
For the Strawberries and Cherries Granola:
Add 18g freeze-dried strawberries and 75g dried cherries.