Our younger sister Faye reminisces about a dessert she discovered whilst holidaying in Sri Lanka and shares with us her version of the recipe for it.
Last November Hayley and I left rainy England to get some winter sun in exotic Sri Lanka, a great country with great food. Now I’m sure when you think of Sri Lanka you’ll think of curry, but it was in fact a dessert (and a Ben Affleck look-alike) that captured my heart. It was creamy, tangy, zesty and fruity; everything a good pud should be. I call it Lemon and Passion Fruit Cream.
I did my research and found a recipe that I could work with to recreate this delight. I opted to make my own lemon curd as it has so much more flavour, I like to use Delia Smith’s recipe:
For the lemon curd:
Zest and juice 1 1/2 large lemons
110g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
75g block butter
- Place the grated lemon zest and sugar in a bowl, whisk the lemon juice together with the eggs and pour this over the sugar.
- Next add the butter cut into small pieces and place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (making sure the bowl is not touching the water).
- Whisk every now and then until thickened, which should take about 20 minutes. Then leave it on one side to cool.
- Once cool, spoon the lemon curd evenly between 4 small glasses, then leave in the fridge to set.
For the lemon and passion fruit cream:
5 passion fruits
Juice of 1 lemon
400ml double cream
75g caster sugar
1 tbsp icing sugar
- Halve 3 of the passionfruits and scoop out the pulp into a bowl. Add the lemon juice to the bowl.
- Gently heat the cream and sugar in a pan. Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to simmering point and boil for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir the passionfruit and lemon juice into the cream mixture and leave to cool for 15 minutes. Once cool, take the glasses with the lemon curd in out of the fridge and pour the cream mixture on top. Then return back to the fridge to set.
- Remove the pulp from the remaining passion fruits and mix in a small bowl with the icing sugar, then set aside.
- To serve, top each glass with a spoonful of sweetened passion fruit pulp. Serving suggestion: chocolate curls on top and a shortbread biscuit to the side.