This salad has such a vibrant mix of fresh ingredients and is so colourful; it’s a taste of summer in a bowl. Serve with a side of minted giant couscous or regular couscous if you wish. Delicious!
1/2 blood grapefruit
3-4 tbsp olive oil
220g cooked jumbo prawns
2 hot smoked salmon fillets
60g pomegranate seeds
1 large just ripe mango
1 ripe avocado
120g baby spinach leaves/baby leaf salad leaves
50g shelled pistachio nuts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
For the couscous:
400g giant/regular couscous
A handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
- First make your couscous by cooking it according to the instructions on the packet and then leave to cool. Once cold, add in your chopped mint and olive oil, season to taste.
- Squeeze the grapefruit juice into a jug; you want about 75ml. Add the juice from half the lime. Add a pinch of salt and whisk in the olive oil to make a thick, creamy dressing. Pour into a bowl.
- Slice the cheeks off the mango, draw a knife down and across to make dice, push the skin to make the dice stand out and slice the pieces off the skin into the dressing.
- Run a knife around the length of the avocado. Twist apart, remove the stone and skin and cut a large dice. Squeeze the remaining lime over the top.
- Add the avocado and pomegranate seeds to the dressing.
- Pat dry the prawns. Flake the salmon into big chunks.
- Add the salad leaves, prawns and pistachios to your salad bowl. Toss and add in the salmon flakes. Cover with the dressing and toss it all around a final time.
- Serve your salad as a starter, lunch or main course along with your minted couscous.