I found this recipe for roasted rhubarb with almond pudding from the wonderful Rachel Khoo on her youtube channel. I have been meaning to cook with rhubarb for ages, I absolutely love it! And everyone I know who grows it has been blessed with a bumper crop this year it seems. Rachel made this as individual puddings but I made it for breakfast, which worked just as well and I always try and do something a bit different for breakfast at weekends as it makes a nice change from the mundane cereal or toast you may have in the week. It is so simple to make and would work with any type of other fruit that you fancied.
Serves 4 or 2 larger portions for breakfast
2 sticks of rhubarb
4-6 tbsp maple syrup
500ml unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp almond essence
3 tbsp corn flour
1. Preheat the oven to 160C (fan).
2. Cut the rhubarb into finger-sized sticks.
3. Toss in a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
4. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
5. Whisk together the almond milk with the cornflour to make a smooth paste.
6. Gradually add the rest of the milk.
7. Continuously whisk for 8-10 minutes on a medium heat, or until the mixture has thickened and release a bubble or two.
8. Add maple syrup to taste.
9. Divide the mixture between the ramekins/bowls, as well as the rhubarb. Eat warm or at room temperature. It can also be chilled in the fridge for a couple of days.