To celebrate St Patrick’s Day we’ve made this delicious steak and Guinness pie. Our mum used to make this for us quite often at home, telling us it was good for us because it was full of iron! I used my slow cooker for this recipe but if you don’t have one you can cook the filling for 3 hours in your over at 160C instead.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Coat the beef in flour then add to the pan and cook until the meat has browned.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer everything from the pan into your slow cooker. Add the mustard, Guinness and stock to the pan and season. Then leave to cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once the 6 hours is up, transfer the contents of the slow cooker into an ovenproof dish and preheat the oven to 160C.
- Cover the meat with the puff pastry and trim of any excess pastry and scallop the edges. Leftover pastry be used to create a pattern on the top (I attempted a 4 leaf clover!)
- Beat the egg and use a pastry brush to cover the pastry in the egg.
- Place in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.